We’ve been in the South Wedge since 1856!

Calvary Presbyterian Church was constituted July 15, 1856 on Hamilton Street. In the same community a few blocks away in 1873 St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church was started. The two congregations served the same community and in 1968 decided to literally join together. The Presbyterian congregation sold its building and moved to the Episcopal Church. In 2001, after a four year process of discernment, the congregation became solely Presbyterian and bought the building.

On March 12, 2017, the Calvary St. Andrew’s congregation voted to concur with the recommendation of the administrative commission to dissolve the congregation. The final Sunday service was Easter Sunday, April 16, 2017. A service of thanksgiving was held Saturday, April 22, 2017.

A complete Timeline can be found HERE.

Of particular note:

The Sanctuary

The Gothic sanctuary was designed by Richard Upjohn in the style resembling Trinity Church in New York City.

Baptismal Font

The font is a relic of the original Calvary Presbyterian church of 1885 and is still in use today.

The High Altar

The High Altar was designed by George Haushalter, as a gift of Mrs. Henry (Maria) Perkins on April 11, 1899. The marble was imported from Carrara, Italy.

High Altar Window

The high altar window was designed by George Haushalter, made by the Calvert & Kimberly company in New York City, and given by Marie Atkinson Perkins Willard. The scene depicts Christ’s tomb on Easter morning (Mark 16: 1-6)

Epiphany Altar

Located to the left in the sanctuary, the small altar and painting were gifts of Mrs. James S. (Emily) Watson in memory of her late mother, Mrs Hiram (Elizabeth) Sibley. It depicts the adoration of the three Wiseman at the crib of the infant Jesus.

The Stained Glass Windows

The Rose window was given in memory of Henry Brooks Ellwanger in 1883. He was the organist and choir master at the time.