Timeline for Calvary Presbyterian Church

1850 A brick building was erected on Hamilton St.. Due to the peculiarity of the turret over the entrance it was known as the “Umbrella Church”.
1856 The “Umbrella Church” was sold to Levi Ward who gathered the scattered Congregationalists with what Presbyterians that could be found.

On July 15, 1856, 16 people presented certificates from various churches to the Presbytery and established Calvary Presbyterian Church.

Growth wasn’t rapid, the church struggled financially, had a series pastors, at one point was led by 2 Elders “time seemed dark and depressing to its friends, but they did not abandon ship.”

1869

The Rev. Herbert Morris DD called by Calvary Presbyterian Church. His tenure marked a time of spiritual prosperity and rebuilding of the “Umbrella Church”

1871

A new brick building was erected to replace the original “Umbrella church” (that was described as “the old box-like interior with papered walls and flat, dingy ceiling, the low roof, broad windows, shattered blinds and “umbrella” turret.)

1968

Trial period of shared worship space with St. Andrews Episcopal Church from Feb. 4, 1968 through Oct. 27, 1968. On the first and second Sunday of each month each congregation worshipped at their own church. On the third Sunday, both congregations worshipped at Calvary (Presbyterian service). On the fourth Sunday, both congregations worshipped at St. Andrews (Episcopal service).

1972

Calvary Church Building transferred to the City of Rochester

Timeline for St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church

1873

On July 19, 1873 the cornerstone for current Chapel was laid on Averill Ave. (near driveway) by the congregation of St. Clements officiated by Bishop Coxe (St. Clement’s subsequently was divided by dissention and dissolved in 1878).

1874

The Chancel, Chapel, and older part of the Rectory was completed for approximately $13,000.

1879

St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church was organized Feb. 10, 1879 and took over St. Clement’s property led by The Rev. Algernon Crapsey, Rector. There were 70 families upon the list, but only about 20 were fairly interested in the work.

1879

St. Andrew’s Brotherhood organized by Dr. Crapsey.

1880

The Church and Rectory were completed and consecrated by Bishop Coxe on May 16, 1880.

1892

Kindergarten School opened. Also a normal training school for teaching kindergarten and primary school education. Young women were trained “in the science and method of kindergarten and primary teaching.” More than 80 of the graduates were later employed in public and private schools.

1898

Chapel altar erected – a gift of J. S. Andrews.

1900

High altar erected.

1902

St. Andrew’s Kindergarten program turned over to the Rochester City School District.

1903

Epiphany altar mural given by Mrs. James S. Watson in memory of her late mother, Mrs. Hiram Sibley.

1905

Rev. Crapsey wrote a book entitled Religion and Politics. The book was based on a series of lectures in which Crapsey “advocated that the church become involved in social reform.

1906

On May 9, 1906, the Episcopal Ecclesiastical Court met and by a four to one vote decided Dr. Crapsey was guilty of heresy.

1906

On December 4, 1906, Rev. Crapsey gave his last sermon to a capacity congregation.

1911

St. Andrew’s tower bell consecrated.

1916

The Austin Organ was installed with 1,100 pipes in 17 ranks grouped in Swell, Great, and Choir divisions and a 32-note Pedal.

1964

Youth tutoring program begins with volunteers

1965

Lighted Schoolhouse tutoring program with staff provided by the Rochester City School District.

1965

Nursery School program begins

1968

Soul School is inaugurated as the city drops the Lighted School House program.

Timeline for Calvary St. Andrew’s Merged Congregations

1968

Calvary Presbyterian and St. Andrews Episcopal began a trial period of shared worship space from Feb. 4, 1968 through Oct. 27, 1968. On the first and second Sunday of each month each congregation worshipped at their own church. On the third Sunday, both congregations worshipped at Calvary (Presbyterian service). On the fourth Sunday, both congregations worshipped at St. Andrews (Episcopal service).

1968

October 8 – Document signed to formally merge Calvary Presbyterian and St. Andrew’s Episcopal into one congregation.

1968

Calvary St. Andrew’s joins with the South Avenue Baptist Church to organize the Southeast Area Youth Ministry.

1969

Calvary St. Andrew’s participates in organizing the Southeast Ecumenical Ministry and SEAM, the forerunner of the South East Area Coalition.

1971-73

The St. Andrews Building was completely renovated both inside and out at a cost of over $155,000.

1973

The Rev. Judy Lee Hay is called as Assistant Pastor

1974

Soul School closes due to lack of funding

1975

Celebration of Holy Eucharist with the Rev. Merrill Bittner, ordained woman priest, officiating.

1975

Was instrumental in organizing The South Wedge Planning Committee, composed  of representatives from vested interest groups, was a catalytic force in neighborhood revitalization: Reclaiming vacant and boarded  houses through aggressive contact with absentee landowners & reinvesting federal dollars through the revenue program using Community Development Block Grant dollars.

1976

Parish Council declares open support of ordination of women in the Episcopal Church. A letter is sent to the Right Reverend John Allin, Presiding Bishop, urging his leadership on the issue. The letter is individually signed by each member of the Vestry and Session.

1976

Spanish-speaking congregation begins worship and parish life at Calvary St. Andrew’s.

1976

Parish sponsors a refugee family from Cuba.

1979

The Rev. Judy Lee Hay is called as the first United Presbyterian Woman Senior Pastor in the country.

1979

Urban Work Camp Program is launched to employ neighborhood youth to paint houses of low-income and the elderly.

1979 –

1980

Austin Organ Restoration

1980

Drafted an overture to the General Assembly calling for the recognition that Haitians be considered under immigration policy as in need of political asylum.

1980

Sponsored two Haitian refugees and one Cambodian.

1980

Lending Tool Library is begun at CSA by the SWPC

1980

Ministry at Southview Towers for persons with physical disabilities is begun.

1980

Calvary St. Andrew’s Parish Council endorses being a “More Light” congregation.

1980

Conundrum Players, a CSA Theater Ministry, is begun by parishoner Keith Hershberg.

1981

Star Chorale formed

1984

CSA becomes a distribution site for surplus commodities (400-500 families / month)

1984-85

Renovation of the Ashland entryway with gift from the estate of Bertha Guptil.

1985

Men’s Fellowship organized

1986

Kitchen renovated

1986

Bell Tower cleaned

1986

CSA designated a Jubilee Parish by the National Episcopal Church. This was a recognition that they demonstrated for the national church a ministry and a mission that lived out the Gospel of Jesus Christ through incarnation.

1988

CSA a partner in building a Habitat for Humanity house at 17 Gregory St.

1988

Organ restoration

1988

On Nov. 6, 1988 CSA Parish celebrates its 20th year Jubilee.

1994

In partnership with Incarnate Word Lutheran church an Eye Glass Clinic, a Resource Center, and Dental clinic, were sponsored in the Dominican Republic.

1998

Major Restoration of the Chapel occurred through the generosity of the family of

Dorothy Conley and businessman Ron Maier.

2001

The Congregation voted to become solely Presbyterian.

2002

Verizon refurbished the bell tower to install antennas.

2005

Calvary St. Andrew’s purchases the building from the Episcopal Diocese for $1.00

2005

$240,000 Capital campaign begun to raise funds for necessary exterior renovations.

2006

Hillside closes the Family Resource Center, ending a 30 year partnership.

2006

CSA listed as a National Historic Landmark

2007

April 20-21: CSA hosts Spirituality weekend with Wayne Muller on Sabbath

2007

Session examines Best Practices with Consultant Charles Reveal

2007

Seminarian Andrew Berry works with South Avenue Recreation Center to establish a computer center

2007

Grant from First Presbyterian Church to purchase stove, utensils, money for a summer intern, two projects in Dominican Republic, and $1,000 gym equipment at South Avenue Recreation Center

2008

Enter into Unbinding the Gospel with 5 other PCUSA congregations

2008

May 18: Major Celebration of Ministry with Specially Challenged—3 group homes and State representatives attended

2008

The Rev. Deborah Swift resigns as Minister of Music. Don Tirrabassi is hired.

2008

CSA Supports Overture to General Assembly for ordination gay and lesbians

2008

June 8: Ordination of former seminarian Catherine Benjamin to Ministry Word and Sacrament

2009

Established Car Donation Program and Paypal account

2009

Irish Dance group rents space

2009

Linked up with SCORE for consulting services with Doug Mabon and Jean Hawkes

2009

October: The Rev. Hugh Outterson approved as Parish Associate

2009

July: Youth mission trip to Chicago with Twelve Corners in Youthworks program

2009

November: History Fair entitled Heretics, History and Hallelujahs This year’s event includes speakers:

  • Alan Illig on The Life of Heretic Algernon Crapsey;

  • Majorie Searl on Artist George Haushalter;

  • Valerie O’Hara onStained Glass Art at CSA

  • Cynthia Howk on  History and Architecture of the South Wedge

2010

Strategic plan adopted

2010

Hosted first Urban Presbyterians Choir Festival and CSA participated

2010

December: Partnered with BASWA in coat drive for children at school #12 in the “It’s A Wonderful Life”

2011

Proceed with sale 136 Averill Avenue

2011

February The Reverend Kathy Madigan approved as Parish Associate

2011

June: Big Lunch for neighborhood with over 200 people attending

2012

Received gift of 125 Flanders Street House from Kay Burnett

2012

January: With Urban Presbyterians entered the New Beginnings Process

2012

CSA presence at Third Thursdays and Farmer’s Market

21012

New website launched thanks to Lauren Vicker and Connie Ehindero

2012

June: Boots On The Street and Big Lunch launched for second year

2012

June: Foodlink Community Garden project

2012

An anonymous $10,000 gift to be used to renovate kitchen including new floors, painting

2012

July: Rev. Hay announced retirement effective January 31, 2013

2012

Interim Team assembled to search for Interim

2012

CSA receives major gift from Gail Maureen to paint offices and Multi purpose room

2013

January 31: Reverend Hay retires

2013

Marsha Reif hired Interim

2017

On Easter Sunday, April 16, 2017, the Calvary St. Andrews congregation held their last service.